Wendy Liebman’s Locally Grown Comedy
Joins Forces with Round Table
Locally Grown Comedy, Wendy Liebman’s monthly stand-up show in Studio City, has quickly flourished into one of the hottest nights of Los Angeles entertainment. Performers such as Orny Adams, George Lopez, Kevin Nealon, Taylor Tomlinson, Carol Liefer, and Brian Kiley have graced the stage. (Full list of performers below*)
For this contest, Locally Grown Comedy is teaming up with Gene Perret’s Round Table for the 2nd Annual Stand-Up Competition.
In addition to a cash price, the winner of this contest will be given a 6-minute spot on the Locally Grown Comedy stage! Many comedians are placed on a waiting list, but as the winner of the Round Table Stand-Up Contest you will move right to the top and be given a coveted spot on October 29, 2019!
FIRST PRIZE: $100 PLUS a spot on the October 29, 2019 Locally Grown Comedy Show
At Feinstein’s at Vitello’s
4349 Tujunga Ave., Studio City, CA 91604
SECOND PRIZE: $50!
THIRD PRIZE: $25!
To Enter: There are three elements to this contest…
- There is no entry fee for this contest but you must be a current Round Table subscriber at the time of entry and the date of the show. To subscribe go to comedywritersroom.com
- You must submit a clip or link to a video (Youtube or your own website is fine) of you performing stand-up. It doesn’t have to be the material you’ll perform at the show, but it should be a good representation of your comedy style and performance skills. You can also make your own video as long as it demonstrates your stand-up skills.
- And because we think comedians should always be writing, we want you to submit an 8 to 12 joke monologue on the following:
You’ve been invited to be a presenter at a roast being held for Adam and Eve. You’re free to use any aspect of their legend as fodder for your gags. You can select one aspect, or you can utilize many different ones. You can defend Adam and Eve or voice your disapproval of what they did and how it has affected all of us since. You should treat this as though they are sitting on the dais with you. Your main goal is to be funny. As a roaster, you should present a brief monologue of between 8 to 12 jokes, organized logically from beginning to end. That’s the assignment for this contest. Have fun with it.
- The official Entry Form (or copy of) must accompany your submission. To request your Entry Form email us at Info@comedywritersroom.com. Or send an SASE to Round Table, PO Box 786, Agoura Hills, CA 91376
- All entries must be received by September 20, 2019 (11:59 pm PST).
- A video or link to a video must be included. Only one video is allowed. If multiple links are submitted only one will be reviewed for consideration.
- The written monologue must be original and not previously published.
- Judges will be looking at both the video and the written monologue when making their decisions.
- Winners will be determined by October 1, 2019. Decisions by the judges are final.
- Payment of Prizes will be by check in US Funds, drawn on a US Bank.
- The comedian is responsible for all travel expenses to and from the show. If the First Place Winner is unable to perform on October 29, 2019, he or she forfeits the opportunity, but retains the cash prize. Locally Grown Comedy and Round Table have the right to pick an alternate performer.
- In the unlikely event the show is cancelled or postponed, an alternate date will be arranged. Round Table and Locally Grown Comedy are not responsible for any expenses incurred by a cancellation or postponement.
- All material is the property of the writer/comedian. By entering you allow Round Tableto print any or all of your lines from your monologue entry on its website and/or in related PR. In addition, Round Table may share your information with the Producers of Locally Grown Comedy.
- For entries to be considered, comedians must be a current member of Round Table at the time of submission and the date of the show. You can subscribe at comedywritersroom.com. Non-subscriber entries won’t be considered.
- Round Table is not responsible for misdirected, unreceived, or unviewable emails/submissions.
- Any submission not in compliance with these rules will be disqualified and ineligible for any prizes.
- It goes without saying but we will…Have Fun!
* Previous Performers at Locally Grown Comedy: Andrea Abbate, Orny Adams, Carlos Alazraqui, Jamie Alcroft, Mariya Alexander, Amy Anderson, Ant, Jo Anne Astrow, Ashley Barnhill, Greg Behrendt, Johnny Beehner, Nancy Berk, Peter Berman, Gloria Bigelow, Stephanie Blum, Alonzo Bodden, Shane Brady, Mark Brazill, Gary Brightwwell, Eddie Brill, Jenna Brister, Dylan Brody, Jimmy Brogan, Matthew Broussard, Kathy Buckley, Dave Burleigh, Jimmy Burns, Rachel Butera, Steve Byrne, Bryan Callen, Tony Camin, Blaine Capatch, John Caponera, Jeff Capri, John Carney, Darren Carter, Judy Carter, Cedric the Entertainer, Jeff Cesario, Matt Champagne, Rich Chassler, Faith Choyce, Nick Cobb, Jack Coen, Fritz Coleman, Genevieve Coleman, Bobby Collins, Mo Collins, Craig Phillip Conant, Jane Condon, James P. Connelly, Alycia Cooper, Ed Crasnick, DJ Demers, Anthony Desamito, Debra DiGiovanni, Dr. Lars Dingman, Lou Dinos, Lorenzo Don, Matt Donaher, Ed Driscoll, Al Ducharme, Kyle Dunnigan, Jimmy Dunn, Bil Dwyer, Dana Eagle, Hannah Einbinder, Graham Elwood, Jackie Fabulous, Joanie Fagan, Wayne Federman, Fortune Feimster, Julian Fernandez, Bruce Fine, Hugh Fink, Sara Fisher, Greg Fitzsimmons, Jackie Flynn, Kirk Fox, Brian Frazer, Jena Friedman, Stephen Furey, Mary Gallagher, Chris Garcia, Billy Gardell, David Gee, Michael Gelbart, Steve Gillespie, Nikki Glaser, Anthony Griffith, Wyatt Grey, Adam Gropman, Arsenio Hall, Betsy Hammer, Jim Hands, JF Harris, Allan Havey, Laura Hayden, Pat Hazell, John Henson, Nick Hoff, Steve Hoftstetter, Helen Hong, Alex Hoover, Angela Hoover, Jeremy Hotz, D.L. Hughley, Sam Humeid, Adam Hunter, Anthony Jeselnik, Jenny Johnson, Danny Jolles, Laurence Juber, Erin Judge, Amir K, Randy Kagan, Jamie Kaler, Jann Karam, Jackie Kashian, Mary Kennedy, Gail Kent, Roberta Kent, Julie Kidd (Single Mom The Musical), Brian Kiley, Laurie Kilmartin, Andy Kindler, Jen Kirkman, Jen Kober, Sue Kolinsky, Bobby Kosser, Michael Kosta, Jo Koy, Gali Kroup, Jill Kushner, Cathy Ladman, Dean Larit, Scott LaRose, Steve Lee, Carol Leifer, Dan Levy, Matt Lieb, Mark Lonow, George Lopez, Randy Lubas, Al Lubel, Bernadette Luckett, Drew Lynch, Ron Lynch, Grant Lyon, Tracey MacDonald, Joel Madison, Jay Mandyam, Peter Marr, Wes Martens, Chris Martin, Monique Marvez, Dobie Maxwell, Steve Mazan, Suli McCullough, Jim McDonald, Liam McEneaney, Don McEnery, Don McMillan, Connor McSpadden, Peter Mehlman, John Mendoza, Damienne Merlina, Felicia Michaels, Jodi Miller, Larry Miller, Steve Mittleman, Dani Klein Modisett, Brian Monarch, Matthew Moore, Paul Morrissey, John Mulaney, Allan Murray, Aparna Nancherla, Kevin Nealon, Keith Ross Nelson, Leslie Nesbitt, Chris Newberg, Tracy Newman, Diane Nichols, Frank Nicotero, Tig Notaro, Terri Nunn, Erin O’Conner, Bobbie Oliver, Gregg Otto, Rick Overton, Tom Papa, Jimmy Pardo, Erik Passoja, Bernadette Pauley, Ruben Paul, Russell Peters, Henry Phillips, Monica Piper, Mark Pitta, Gene Pompa, Lydia Popovich, Joe Praino, Char Prunier, Rick Pulido, Marty Rackham, Mary Lynn Rajskub, Jennifer Rawlings, Dennis Regan, Erica Rhodes, Tom Rhodes, Tommy Rico, John Riggi, Steven Roberts, Karen Rontowski, Kevin Rooney, Marty Ross, Jeff Rothpan, Mike Rowe, Joby Saad, Betsy Salkind, Lowell Sanders, Vance Sanders, Darik Santos, Charisse Savarin, JonSchabl, Lew Schneider, Flip Schultz, Eric Schwartz, Brian Scolaro, Mike Scully, Mark Schiff, Alex Sherman, Beth Sherman, Iliza Shlesinger, Jimmy Shubert, Ritch Shydner, Janice Silver, The Sklar Brothers (Randy & Jason), Bobby Slayton, Frazer Smith, Trevor Smith, Carrie Snow, Joshua Snyder, Jake Solomon, Kira Soltanovich, Jeff Stilson, Gary Stockdale, Jason Stuart, Pat Susmilch, Brian Swinehart, Judy Tenuta, Bobby Tessel, Sarah Tiana, Christopher Titus, Taylor Tomlinson, Lisa-Gay Tremblay, Murray Valeriano, Maronzio Vance, Nick Vatterott, Tracie Walker, Lisa Ann Walter, Sonja Warfield, Troy Walker, Jason Webb, Brad Wenzel, Suzanne Whang, Steve White, Dave Williamson, Taylor Williamson, Allee Willis, John Wing, Anita Wise, Pauline Yasuda, Steve Young, Bob Zany, Jeff Zenisek, and Chad Zumock.
And the Winner of the 2018 Round Table Stand-Up Competition –
Round Table Contest #6
Warm Up the Typewriter…
Sketch writing is making a comeback and ROUND TABLE is thrilled. Sketches are a fun way to release the creative juices and can produce great pieces. So, for this contest, we want you to try your hand at sketch writing.
Write an original sketch. Your sketch can be on any topic you like. It can be generic or for a specific show or character. The sketch must have more than one person/character in it.
First Place – $125
Second Place – $ 50
Third Place – $ 25
Three Honorable Mentions will receive a $5 gift certificate for the Round Table shop at www.comedywritersroom.com/shop. In addition, all non-winning entries will be entered into a random drawing for a $5 ROUND TABLE Gift Certificate.
Entry Fee: There is a $5.00 fee per sketch. You may enter as many times as you like but a new fee is required for each submission. The entry fee is waived for Gene Perret’s ROUND TABLE Subscribers (must be a current subscriber when entry is received). Entry Fees are non-refundable.
- Sketches must be original and not previously published or produced.
- Your sketch can be no longer than 10 pages. Submissions must be in the correct sketch format. A sample is included in the free handout which is available by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All sketches must abide by these restrictions at the sole discretion of Round Table. Any deviation will result in the sketch being disqualified.
- Your name and mailing address must be included on the submission or within the submission email. If you include a title page with your name and address, this does not count towards your page total. Submissions without an address will be disqualified.
- Submissions can be sent electronically by email to email@example.com. Sketches can be attached to the email but must be in Word or a pdf. Or you may mail your sketch to ROUND TABLE, PO Box 786, Agoura Hills, CA 91376.
- You may enter as many times as you like but each entry must be sent/emailed separately and accompanied by the $5 entry fee. Entry Fees can be submitted by credit card online at www/comedywritersroom.com/shop or by check. Entry Fees can be paid prior to or along with your submittal. Material submitted without the fee (and not current RT subscribers) will be disqualified. Entry Fees are not refundable. The Entry Fee is waived for people who are current subscribers of Round Table at the time of entry. You can subscribe to Round Table at www.comedywritersroom.com/shop
- All entries must be received by May 30, 2019 (11:59 pm pst).
- Winners will be determined by June 15, 2019. Decisions by the judges are final. ROUND TABLE will break any ties. Payment will be by check in US Funds, drawn on a US Bank unless other arrangements are agreed to by Round Table.
- All material is the property of the writer. By entering you allow ROUND TABLE to print any or all of your sketch on its website and/or in related PR.
- Any submission not in compliance with these rules will be disqualified and ineligible for any prizes.
- ROUND TABLE is not responsible for any misdirected or unreceived submissions.
- If the above rules are not followed, entry will be disqualified, and entry fee forfeited. So please review your entry carefully.
Judging: ROUND TABLE will be responsible for selecting the finalists. ROUND TABLE may consult with outside sources to determine the winners. The decisions of the ROUND TABLE judges are final.
Judging will be based on:
- The sketch premise
- The crispness of the dialogue
- The humor in the dialogue
- The power of the sketch ending
To receive the FREE Handout “Hints, Tips and Format” that includes a sample of the formatting for this contest, send an email request to: firstname.lastname@example.org or send an SASE to: ROUND TABLE, PO Box 786, Agoura Hills, CA 91376.
Good Luck and Have Fun!!!
Deadline for Entries
May 30, 2019
If you have an idea for our next contest, let us know!