A contest handpicked by Gene!
Gene came up with this contest that’s based on one of his favorite exercises in the Comedy Writing Workbook. It’s called Mrs. Malaprop’s Affliction. A malaprop is a ridiculous misuse of words, usually through the confusion caused by a resemblance in sound. Archie Bunker was known for these. He once uttered, “What do I look like? An inferior decorator?” More examples can be found on Page 32 of the Comedy Writing Workbook.
First Place – $100
Second Place – $ 50
Third Place – $ 25
Three Honorable Mentions will receive a $5 gift certificate for the ROUND TABLE shop at www.comedywritersroom.com/shop. In addition, all non-winning writers will be entered into a random drawing for a $5 ROUND TABLE Gift Certificate.
All qualified entries will receive a bookmark that features an original poem by Gene Perret called “The Comedy Writer.” (Available while supplies last.)
Entry Fee: There is a $5.00 fee per entry; with each entry containing no more than 5 malaprops. You may enter as many times as you like but a new fee is required for each submission. The entry fee is waived for Gene Perret’s ROUND TABLE Subscribers (must be a current subscriber when entry is received). Entry Fees are non-refundable.
- All lines must be original and not previously published.
- Your name and mailing address must be included on the submission and/or within the submission email. All jokes in the submission must be numbered. Submissions without a mailing address will be disqualified.
- Submissions can be sent electronically by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please contain your lines within the email. Attachments will not be opened. Or you may mail your submission to ROUND TABLE, PO Box 786, Agoura Hills, CA 91376
- You may enter as many times as you like but each entry (consisting of 5 jokes) must be sent/emailed separately and accompanied by the $5 entry fee. Entry Fees can be submitted by credit card online at comedywritersroom.com/shop or by check. Entry Fees can be paid prior to or along with submittal. Material submitted without the fee (and not current RT subscribers) will be disqualified. Entry Fees are not refundable. The Entry Fee is waived for people who are current subscribers of Round Table at the time of entry. You can subscribe to Round Table at comedywritersroom.com/shop.
- All entries must be received by November 15, 2021 (11:59 pm pst).
- ROUND TABLE will narrow down the selections to the top 50 which will be our Finalists. ROUND TABLE’s decisions will be final. The Finalists will be posted on our website for voting. Voting will be open until December 30, 2021.
- Prizes will be awarded by January 15, 2022. Decisions will be final. Round Table will break any ties. Payment will be by check in US Funds, drawn on a US Bank unless other arrangements are agreed to by Round Table.
- All material is the property of the writer. By entering you allow ROUND TABLE to print any or all of your lines on its website and/or in related PR.
- Any submission not in compliance with these rules will be disqualified and ineligible for any prizes. Entry fee will be forfeited.
- ROUND TABLE is not responsible for any misdirected or unreceived submissions.
Round Table will select the finalists from the lines received but the voting is going to be open to anyone who visits our webpage. There is no limit to how many lines one writer may have on the finalist list. Finalists will be posted to our website anonymously for 30 days and viewers will be able to vote for their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd favorite jokes. 5 points will be awarded for 1stplace; 3 points for second; and 1 for 3rd. Points will be tallied at the end of the voting period and prizes awarded. After the voting period, the writer’s name will be posted with his or her line on the webpage.
Of course, we will have to have some rules for the voting
- Anyone who visits the website will be able to vote. They will be instructed to send an email to us with their 1st, 2nd, and 3rdfavorite joke. Round Table will be soliciting people to vote and we will encourage you to do the same.
- Only one voting submission per email address. The earliest submission will be accepted.
- Votes must be included in the text of the email. Attachments will not be opened and will be deleted.
- Round Tableis not responsible for misdirected or un-received emails.
- You do not need to include your name and/or address in the email to vote.
- The rules for voting must be followed. Judging submissions that do not conform to the rules will not be included in the judging process.
- Participants in the Competition are eligible to vote, but the same rules apply.
Good Luck…And HAVE FUN!!
If you have a suggestion or idea for a future contest, we’d love to hear it!